ATLANTIC CITY TRAVEL GUIDE
Get travel tips and book flight, hotel, car rental, attractions, tours, etc.
WHAT TO SEE AND WHAT TO DO IN ATLANTIC CITY
Discover Atlantic City Boardwalk, Casinos, Steel Pier, Quarter at Tropicana, Tanger Outlets, Absecon Lighthouse, Borgata Casino and much more in Atlantic City. Our Atlantic City Travel Guide offers insider travel tips and easy booking for flight, hotel, car rental, attractions, tours, sports tickets, concerts, etc. Secure the best deals with our trusted partners, and explore with confidence.
Learn more about Atlantic City: Location and Population – Major airports – Introduction – Weather – Attractions – Getting around – Sport venues and local teams – Outdoor recreation – Local cuisine – Recommended restaurants – Nightlife – Places to stay – Major events and festivals – Nearby experiences
SEARCH FOR FLIGHTS TO ATLANTIC CITY
TOP EXPERIENCES IN ATLANTIC CITY
ATLANTIC CITY CALENDAR - WHATS UP NEXT:
ATLANTIC CITY TRAVEL GUIDE VIDEO INSPIRATION
ATLANTIC CITY SPORT TICKETS
Location and population
- Atlantic City International Airport (ACY): This airport is the closest and most convenient option for travelers heading to Atlantic City. It is located just 9 miles northwest of the city center.
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL): Located approximately 65 miles northwest of Atlantic City, this airport is a major international hub serving the Philadelphia metropolitan area. It offers a wide range of domestic and international flights.
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR): Situated around 115 miles northeast of Atlantic City, Newark Liberty is another major international airport serving the New York City metropolitan area. It offers a large number of domestic and international flights.
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): Located approximately 130 miles northeast of Atlantic City, JFK is one of the busiest airports in the United States. It serves as a major international gateway to New York City and the surrounding region.
Introduction to Atlanta
Weather in Atlanta
Atlanta top attractions:
- Atlantic City Boardwalk: Stretching for four miles along the coastline, the Boardwalk is a must-visit attraction. It offers a lively atmosphere with shops, restaurants, casinos, and entertainment options. Enjoy a leisurely stroll, rent a bike, or simply take in the beautiful ocean views.
- Steel Pier: Located on the Boardwalk, Steel Pier is an iconic amusement park with thrilling rides, games, and attractions. Experience the excitement of roller coasters, ferris wheels, and other classic carnival-style amusements.
- Atlantic City Beaches: The pristine beaches of Atlantic City are perfect for relaxation and water activities. Soak up the sun, take a dip in the ocean, or enjoy beachside recreational activities such as volleyball and surfing.
- Absecon Lighthouse: Climb the historic Absecon Lighthouse, the tallest lighthouse in New Jersey, for panoramic views of Atlantic City and the coastline. Explore the museum and learn about the lighthouse’s fascinating maritime history.
- Atlantic City Casinos: Known for its vibrant casino scene, Atlantic City offers numerous world-class casinos where you can try your luck at slot machines, table games, and poker rooms. Enjoy live entertainment, fine dining, and a bustling nightlife at these renowned establishments.
- The Quarter at Tropicana: This lively entertainment complex inside the Tropicana Casino features an Old Havana-inspired ambiance with shopping, dining, and nightlife options. Experience the vibrant atmosphere, catch a live show, or savor a delicious meal.
- Boardwalk Hall: An architectural marvel, Boardwalk Hall is a historic venue that has hosted numerous concerts, sporting events, and shows. Take a guided tour or attend a performance to appreciate the grandeur of this iconic building.
- Atlantic City Aquarium: Discover marine life from around the world at the Atlantic City Aquarium. Explore interactive exhibits, marvel at colorful fish, touch stingrays, and learn about the coastal ecosystems and conservation efforts.
- Atlantic City Historical Museum: Dive into the city’s rich history at the Atlantic City Historical Museum. Exhibits showcase the city’s transformation, its significance as a resort town, and notable events and personalities that shaped its past.
- Lucy the Elephant: Located in nearby Margate City, Lucy the Elephant is a unique attraction. This six-story wooden elephant-shaped building is a National Historic Landmark, offering guided tours and panoramic views from its howdah (the elephant’s back).
Sport venues and local teams
- Jim Whelan Boardwalk Hall: Boardwalk Hall is a historic venue that has hosted a wide range of sporting events, including boxing matches, basketball games, and indoor track and field competitions. It is a versatile arena with a seating capacity of over 10,000 spectators.
- Ocean Casino Resort Arena: Formerly known as the Adrian Phillips Theater, this venue is located within the Ocean Casino Resort. It hosts sporting events such as professional boxing matches, MMA fights, and basketball games.
- Stockton University Sports Center: The Stockton University Sports Center serves as the home venue for Stockton University’s NCAA Division III athletic teams. It hosts basketball and volleyball games, as well as other collegiate sporting events.
- Atlantic City Surf Stadium: Although no longer an active venue, the Atlantic City Surf Stadium was the home field for the Atlantic City Surf, an independent minor league baseball team. The stadium hosted Atlantic League baseball games and other sporting events.
- Local Sports Teams: Atlantic City does not currently have major professional sports teams, but the region is known for its support of Philadelphia sports teams, including the Philadelphia Eagles (NFL), Philadelphia Phillies (MLB), Philadelphia 76ers (NBA), and Philadelphia Flyers (NHL). Fans in the area often show their allegiance to these teams.
Outdoor recreation in Atlanta
- Beach Activities: Atlantic City’s beautiful beaches provide ample opportunities for outdoor recreation. Enjoy swimming, sunbathing, beach volleyball, building sandcastles, or simply taking a leisurely walk along the shoreline.
- Water Sports: The Atlantic Ocean offers a playground for water sports enthusiasts. Try your hand at surfing, paddleboarding, kayaking, or jet skiing. Rental services are available along the beach, allowing you to explore the waves and enjoy the thrill of these activities.
- Fishing: Atlantic City is a great destination for fishing enthusiasts. Cast your line from the beach or join a fishing charter to venture out into deeper waters for a chance to catch various species, including striped bass, bluefish, and flounder.
- Golfing: The Atlantic City region boasts several exceptional golf courses. Tee off at one of the area’s renowned courses, many of which offer scenic views, challenging holes, and well-maintained fairways. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced golfer, there are options available to suit every skill level.
- Biking and Rollerblading: The Atlantic City Boardwalk is a fantastic place for biking or rollerblading. Rent a bike or rollerblades and enjoy a scenic ride along the boardwalk, taking in the ocean views and the vibrant atmosphere.
- Parks and Nature Trails: Explore the natural beauty surrounding Atlantic City by visiting nearby parks and nature trails. The Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, just a short drive away, provides opportunities for birdwatching, hiking, and photography in a serene coastal environment.
- Picnicking and Barbecues: Many parks in and around Atlantic City offer picnic areas equipped with grills. Pack a picnic lunch or grab some supplies from local markets, and enjoy a leisurely meal surrounded by nature.
- Wildlife and Bird Watching: The region’s coastal location makes it an excellent spot for wildlife observation. Keep an eye out for various bird species, including herons, egrets, and ospreys. Additionally, dolphins can sometimes be spotted swimming offshore.
- Outdoor Events and Festivals: Atlantic City hosts outdoor events and festivals throughout the year. From concerts and live performances on the beach to art shows and cultural celebrations, these events offer a chance to enjoy outdoor entertainment and embrace the festive atmosphere.
- Jogging and Walking: The boardwalk and scenic coastal areas provide great paths for jogging or taking leisurely walks. Lace up your running shoes and enjoy a refreshing workout while enjoying the picturesque views of the ocean.
Local cuisine in Atlanta
- Seafood: Given its proximity to the ocean, Atlantic City is renowned for its fresh seafood offerings. You can indulge in delectable dishes like fresh oysters, clams, lobster, crab cakes, and flounder. Many restaurants specialize in seafood and serve it in various preparations, from classic New England-style clam chowder to creative seafood fusion dishes.
- Boardwalk Treats: The iconic Boardwalk is home to an array of delicious treats. You can savor freshly made saltwater taffy, a chewy and sweet confectionery that comes in various flavors. Try funnel cakes, a fried pastry topped with powdered sugar or various sweet toppings. And don’t forget to sample caramel popcorn, cotton candy, and other classic carnival snacks.
- Italian Cuisine: Atlantic City has a significant Italian-American community, which is reflected in its culinary offerings. Italian restaurants abound, serving up traditional dishes like pasta, pizza, lasagna, and meatballs. You can find both casual pizzerias and upscale Italian eateries with an emphasis on authentic flavors and fresh ingredients.
- Soul Food: Atlantic City also has a rich African-American culinary tradition, and you can find soul food restaurants that serve up comforting dishes like fried chicken, collard greens, macaroni and cheese, cornbread, and sweet potato pie. These hearty and flavorful dishes celebrate the city’s cultural heritage.
- Steakhouses and Fine Dining: For those seeking upscale dining experiences, Atlantic City boasts a range of high-end steakhouses and fine dining establishments. These restaurants offer prime cuts of steak, fresh seafood, and elegant dishes prepared with culinary expertise. Pair your meal with a fine wine from their extensive selections.
- Diners and Breakfast Spots: Atlantic City is known for its classic diners and breakfast spots that serve up hearty and delicious meals to start your day. Enjoy a traditional American breakfast with options like pancakes, waffles, omelets, and bacon. These establishments often have a nostalgic ambiance and friendly service.
- International Cuisine: Atlantic City’s culinary landscape embraces various international flavors. You can explore restaurants offering cuisines from around the world, including Mexican, Asian, Mediterranean, Indian, and more. From sushi and tacos to curry and falafel, there are options to satisfy diverse palates.
- Craft Breweries: Craft beer enthusiasts can delight in the growing beer scene in Atlantic City. Several local breweries offer a wide selection of unique and flavorful beers, from IPAs and stouts to seasonal brews and experimental flavors. You can visit breweries and taprooms to enjoy tastings or take a tour to learn about the brewing process.
Recommended restaurants in Atlanta
- Dock’s Oyster House:
- A local institution since 1897, Dock’s Oyster House is renowned for its fresh seafood and classic ambiance. It features a raw bar and a menu that includes oysters, clams, crab cakes, and other seafood delicacies.
- Knife & Fork Inn:
- Located in a historic building, Knife & Fork Inn is a popular steakhouse known for its prime cuts of meat, seafood dishes, and elegant atmosphere. It offers a refined dining experience with an extensive wine list.
- Kelsey’s is a vibrant restaurant that serves up American and Southern-inspired dishes with a twist. From their famous fried chicken and waffles to creative macaroni and cheese variations, Kelsey’s offers flavorful comfort food in a lively setting.
- Chef Vola’s:
- Tucked away in a residential neighborhood, Chef Vola’s is a hidden gem that has been serving Italian-American cuisine for decades. The cozy and intimate atmosphere, along with dishes like homemade pasta, veal chops, and seafood, make it a favorite among locals and visitors.
- White House Sub Shop:
- A local favorite, White House Sub Shop is known for its delicious and generously stuffed submarine sandwiches. Choose from a variety of cold and hot subs made with fresh ingredients and homemade bread.
- Buddakan at The Playground:
- Buddakan offers an upscale dining experience with an Asian-inspired menu. The stylish setting and creative dishes, such as their renowned edamame dumplings and Peking duck, make it a popular choice for those seeking a fusion of flavors.
- Angelo’s Fairmount Tavern:
- Angelo’s is a family-owned Italian restaurant that has been serving traditional dishes since 1935. Enjoy homemade pasta, veal parmigiana, and other Italian classics in a cozy and welcoming atmosphere.
- Gilchrist Restaurant:
- Known for its hearty breakfasts, Gilchrist Restaurant is a local breakfast spot that serves up delicious pancakes, French toast, omelets, and other morning favorites. It’s a popular choice for starting your day off right.
- Tony Boloney’s:
- For unique and creative pizzas and sandwiches, Tony Boloney’s is a must-visit. This quirky eatery offers inventive combinations like their taco pizza or their signature “Cheetos Mac Attack” sandwich.
- The Iron Room:
- The Iron Room is a gastropub known for its extensive selection of whiskey and craft beer, as well as its creative small plates and shared plates menu. It’s a great spot for a casual and relaxed dining experience.
Nightlife in Atlanta
- Casinos and Nightclubs:
- Atlantic City is famous for its casinos, many of which come alive with energy and entertainment after the sun sets. The casinos feature vibrant nightclubs where you can dance the night away to live DJs, enjoy live music performances, or watch dazzling shows.
- The Pool After Dark:
- Located at Harrah’s Resort, The Pool After Dark is a popular nightclub and entertainment venue that boasts a tropical atmosphere and a large indoor pool. It hosts renowned DJs, celebrity appearances, and themed parties, making it a hotspot for late-night revelry.
- Premier Nightclub:
- Found within the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, Premier Nightclub is known for its high-energy atmosphere and state-of-the-art sound and lighting systems. It hosts top-notch DJs and offers a dynamic nightlife experience.
- HQ2 Nightclub:
- Located at the Ocean Casino Resort, HQ2 Nightclub is a beachfront club that features multiple dance floors, VIP sections, and outdoor pool parties. It offers a range of musical styles and entertainment options, making it a go-to destination for a memorable night out.
- The Music Box:
- Situated inside the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, The Music Box is a smaller, more intimate venue that hosts live concerts, comedy shows, and other performances. It offers a diverse lineup of artists and provides a more laid-back setting for enjoying live entertainment.
- Comedy Clubs:
- Atlantic City has several comedy clubs where you can enjoy stand-up comedy performances by both up-and-coming comedians and established acts. Check out places like the Comedy Stop at the Tropicana or the AC Jokes Comedy Club for a night of laughter.
- Live Music Venues:
- Various venues in Atlantic City showcase live music performances across different genres. The Atlantic City Beach Concert Series brings renowned artists to perform on the beach, while venues like the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino and the Tropicana host live bands and musicians regularly.
- Irish Pub Scene:
- Atlantic City is also known for its lively Irish pub scene. Places like the Irish Pub and Ri Ra Irish Pub offer a cozy atmosphere, live music, and a wide selection of beers, making them great spots for a casual night out.
- Boardwalk Bars and Lounges:
- Along the iconic Atlantic City Boardwalk, you’ll find numerous bars and lounges that offer a laid-back atmosphere and breathtaking views of the ocean. Enjoy a cocktail, listen to live music, or engage in some people-watching while soaking in the lively ambiance.
- The Chelsea Beach Bar:
- Located at The Chelsea Hotel, this beachfront bar offers a relaxing setting with beach chairs, cabanas, and fire pits. It’s an excellent spot to unwind with a drink and enjoy the ocean breeze.
Places to stay in Atlanta
- Atlantic City Boardwalk:
- The Boardwalk is the heart and soul of Atlantic City. It stretches along the coastline and is lined with hotels, casinos, shops, restaurants, and attractions. Staying on or near the Boardwalk allows you to have easy access to the beach, enjoy stunning ocean views, and be within walking distance of many entertainment options.
- Marina District:
- Located on the mainland side of Atlantic City, the Marina District is known for its luxury hotels, upscale casinos, and marina views. Staying in this area offers a quieter atmosphere away from the hustle and bustle of the Boardwalk, while still providing easy access to the casinos and entertainment options.
- The Chelsea neighborhood is a trendy and upscale area that offers a more boutique hotel experience. It features a mix of modern hotels, restaurants, and shops. Staying in Chelsea provides a more relaxed and stylish vibe, with a slightly removed feel from the busier parts of the city.
- Ducktown is a historic neighborhood that offers a blend of residential and commercial areas. It is known for its diverse dining scene, including Italian restaurants and local eateries. Staying in Ducktown allows you to experience a more local and authentic side of Atlantic City while still being within reach of the main attractions.
- Gardners Basin:
- Located on the bayfront, Gardners Basin is a charming area that offers a waterfront setting with marinas, shops, and restaurants. It provides a peaceful atmosphere and a chance to explore the Atlantic City Aquarium and take boat tours. Staying in Gardners Basin is ideal for those seeking a quieter and more nature-oriented experience.
- North Beach:
- North Beach is an up-and-coming neighborhood that is undergoing revitalization. It features new hotel developments, restaurants, and a more laid-back vibe. Staying in North Beach offers a mix of modern amenities and easy access to the Boardwalk and beach.
Major events and festivals in Atlanta
- Atlantic City Airshow: The annual Atlantic City Airshow, known as “Thunder Over the Boardwalk,” showcases breathtaking aerial displays by military and civilian aircraft. Spectators gather along the beach and boardwalk to witness thrilling stunts and formations in the sky.
- Atlantic City Beer and Music Festival: This popular event combines craft beer tasting with live music performances. It features a vast selection of beers from local and national breweries, along with multiple stages hosting various musical acts.
- Atlantic City Restaurant Week: Food lovers can savor the city’s culinary delights during Atlantic City Restaurant Week. Participating restaurants offer fixed-price menus, allowing visitors to enjoy a wide range of cuisines and dining experiences at discounted prices.
- Atlantic City Comedy Festival: Comedy enthusiasts can catch performances by renowned comedians at the Atlantic City Comedy Festival. The event brings laughter to the city with multiple stand-up shows, improv acts, and comedic performances.
- Atlantic City Food Truck Festival: Food truck aficionados can indulge in a diverse selection of delicious bites at the Atlantic City Food Truck Festival. This culinary extravaganza features food trucks offering a variety of cuisines, live music, and family-friendly activities.
- Atlantic City Boardwalk Art Show: Artists and art lovers gather for the Atlantic City Boardwalk Art Show, showcasing works by local and regional artists. Visitors can browse and purchase paintings, sculptures, photography, and other forms of artistic expression.
- Atlantic City Marathon Race Series: The Atlantic City Marathon Race Series includes various running events, such as the full marathon, half marathon, 10K, 5K, and kid’s race. Runners of all levels can participate and enjoy the scenic views of the boardwalk and ocean during the races.
- Miss America Competition: Atlantic City is famously associated with the Miss America Competition, a renowned beauty pageant that features contestants from across the United States. The event includes preliminary competitions, interviews, and the highly anticipated final crowning ceremony.
- Atlantic City Electric’s Rock the Walk: Rock the Walk is an annual charity event organized by Atlantic City Electric. It involves a walk along the boardwalk to raise funds for various charitable causes, accompanied by live music performances and family-friendly activities.
- Boardwalk Wine Promenade: Wine enthusiasts can indulge in a selection of wines from around the world at the Boardwalk Wine Promenade. The event features wine tastings, food pairings, and educational sessions on wine appreciation.
- Ocean City: Located just a short drive south of Atlantic City, Ocean City is a family-friendly beach town known for its pristine beaches, charming boardwalk, and amusement park. Spend a day soaking up the sun, strolling along the boardwalk, and enjoying activities like mini-golf, water sports, and shopping.
- Lucy the Elephant: Take a trip to Margate City, a neighboring town, and visit Lucy the Elephant, a unique historical landmark. This six-story elephant-shaped building offers guided tours, providing insight into its history and architectural significance. You can climb to the top for panoramic views of the surrounding area.
- Cape May: Venture south to Cape May, a picturesque Victorian seaside town. Known for its well-preserved architecture, beautiful beaches, and charming streets, Cape May offers a tranquil and historic atmosphere. Explore the Victorian homes, visit the Cape May Lighthouse, or take a relaxing horse-drawn carriage ride.
- Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge: Nature enthusiasts can visit the Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, located just outside Atlantic City. The refuge spans over 47,000 acres and provides opportunities for birdwatching, hiking, wildlife photography, and nature observation.
- Renault Winery: Located in Egg Harbor City, a short drive from Atlantic City, Renault Winery offers a wine tasting and dining experience. Explore the vineyards, sample a variety of wines, and enjoy a meal at the winery’s restaurant.
- Tuckerton Seaport: Situated in Tuckerton, a historic fishing village, the Tuckerton Seaport is a maritime museum and village dedicated to preserving and showcasing the region’s maritime heritage. You can explore exhibits, take boat rides, and participate in hands-on activities.
- Smithville: Travel to Smithville, a charming village located in Galloway Township. Known for its quaint shops, historic buildings, and scenic lake, Smithville offers a serene and relaxing atmosphere. Enjoy a leisurely stroll, shop for unique gifts, and dine at one of the village’s restaurants.